After your install /What you can expect
Its completely normal for your extensions to feel snug for the first few days after the installation. this is temporary and will go away after a few days and will become more comfortable with wear.
Every client is different. For first time extension clients its important to give you scalp a chance to accept the fact that there is now a foreign object attached. However, how we install and what we install is very attentive and cautious of scalp health from day one. It's always my first priority. This will be closely monitored throughout your experience when wearing Luxury Hand- Tied Extensions.
The three most important things that will effect the life of your extensions
1. Products. Apply recommended leave-in conditioner + oil throughout mids+ends on damp OR dry hair morning and night. This will be key to keeping your extensions looking healthy and soft. Products containing protein is not recommended for extension hair. Use only products recommended for best results (shampoo, conditioner, oil, detangler, heat protectant)
2. Brushing. On dry hair, separate rows and hold base of extensions while brushing thoroughly working your way up from ends to base.
3. Heat Styling. If you are using hot tools and blow drying hair from damp to dry often, not only will it take an extensive amount of time, your extensions will likely dry out. It is highly recommended to let air dry to at least 50% before blow drying to maximize the life and health of the extensions.
WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WEARING EXTENSIONS
• Don’t go to bed with wet hair. It is recommended to blow dry the base of the extensions if this is a must to avoid any matting or swelling in the seam of your extensions.
• Don’t pull, scratch, or disturb the base of the extensions in any way to avoid damage.
• Don’t use HIGH heat with hot tools including blow dryers and irons. Don’t go above 300, make sure blow dryer filter is always clean and used on medium heat
• Don’t use products containing sulphates, parabens, or high amounts of protein.
• Don’t forget to be mindful about dry shampoo. An Excessive amount will likely dry them out.
• Don’t remove extensions at home. This is imperative to preserve the health of your natural hair.
• BLONDES ONLY: Don’t overuse purple shampoo. The extensions will take in the violet pigment much quicker than your natural hair. They will turn violet. Don’t touch blonde hair with SPF ; they will turn peach/mauve in color. tip: tie hair up and out of the way and be mindful of where the sunscreen is going and wash your hands after, OR use mineral sunscreen by ‘Bare Republic’. We have found that this product will not discolor the extension hair.
Washing can be intimidating at first, but have no fear as they will not go anywhere. It will start to feel normal after the 3rd wash or so! I highly recommend a filtered shower head if you are in an area with hard water.
1st shampoo: focus on natural hair around the part line and hairline
2nd shampoo: use two fingers to focus in between the extension rows gently
Conditioner: saturate throughout mids/ends as needed
RINSE THOROUGHLY between rows.
My “go-to” styling routine after the washing consists of
Blow drying the base of the extensions
Air dry over night (in loose braids)
In the morning waking up and adding a few curls or styling as needed
- OR -
Let the extensions air dry most of the way before blow driving on medium heat
HIGH PONY OR TOPKNOT
High Pony + Topknots: how to wear?
The luxury of the method that I offer is that with it’s flexible tension, you’re able to pull your hair up without worry of visibility or discomfort! With that being said, when wearing a ponytail or topknot, be sure to wear it very high or low. Meaning either near the occipital bone, or on the very top of your head. Give the extensions a chance to “flip” over by physically flipping your head over to pull it up.
If this step is neglected, This may cause damage inevitably. This also may create the appearance of “flaps” or “wings” if ponytail is closer to the center of the head, causing maximum tension near the front of the extensions. Also be sure to use a scrunchy, invisibobble, or something non-abrasive to avoid breakage on both natural hair and extension hair if wearing this style often
RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS FOR AT HOME
Davines Natural tech Shampoo, Conditioner + Mask
Unite Glossing Spray (heat protectant)
Davines All In One Milk or UNITE 7Seconds Leave-in Detangler
Davines Oi Oil or UNITE 7Seconds ‘U-Oil’